SimpleScreenRecorder is a Linux program that created by maartenbaert to record programs and games on Linux.
- Graphical user interface (Qt-based).
- Faster than VLC and ffmpeg/avconv.
- Records the entire screen or part of it, or records OpenGL applications directly (similar to Fraps on Windows).
- Synchronizes audio and video properly (a common issue with VLC and ffmpeg/avconv).
- Reduces the video frame rate if your computer is too slow (rather than using up all your RAM like VLC does).
- Fully multithreaded: small delays in any of the components will never block the other components, resulting is smoother video and better performance on computers with multiple processors.
- Pause and resume recording at any time (either by clicking a button or by pressing a hotkey).
- Shows statistics during recording (file size, bit rate, total recording time, actual frame rate, …).
- Can show a preview during recording, so you don’t waste time recording something only to figure out afterwards that some setting was wrong.
- Uses libav/ffmpeg libraries for encoding, so it supports many different codecs and file formats (adding more is trivial).
- Can also do live streaming (experimental).
- Sensible default settings: no need to change anything if you don’t want to.
- Tooltips for almost everything: no need to read the documentation to find out what something does.
How to Install simplescreenrecorder on Linux
How to install simplescreenrecorder on Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint
To install simplescreenrecorder on ubuntu linux or Linux Mint, you can do this command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
if you want to record 32-bit OpenGL applications on a 64-bit system:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder simplescreenrecorder-lib:i386
How to install simplescreenrecorder on Arch Linux
You can install simplescreenrecorder on Arch linux trough Application Package. You can see detailed package simplescreenrecorder for arch Linux here
How to install simplescreenrecorder on Gentoo
Anders Larsson has created a Gentoo overlay that contains SimpleScreenRecorder. You can find it at Gentoo overlay on github